ABOUT THE GERMAN CHURCH
The German United Church of Christ has provided Christian community to German speaking people in the greater Seattle Area since 1881. We are committed to speaking God's word anew in today's world and to maintaining the German heritage that contributed to the development of the city of Seattle.
Originally called the First German Reformed Church of Seattle, we were founded by a few of the early German settlers, who banded themselves together in the year 1881. In 1896 we united with the Congregationalists along with the Ballard Reformed Church, and for a time were supported by the Congregational Home Missionary Society. In 1909 we moved to our present location on the corner of 11th and East Howell Street. We are the oldest German church in the city and the only church that conducts a regular German service every Sunday. We are funded primarily by individual contributions, but also sponsored by the German Heritage Society, Plattdeucheverein, and the German Lady’s Aid Society.